What we know today is that individuals who have contracted COVID-19 are asymptomatic, meaning they do not exhibit symptoms and can still spread the disease to others. For this reason, the CDC recommends that everyone should wear a face mask in public.
There are two reasons face masks are critical in helping to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus:
• To protect the wearer from getting infected
• To protect others from getting infected
Creo Promotional Solutions has suppliers that manufacture a variety of customized masks. Some that specialize in making anti-droplet and antibacterial filtered reusable masks for public use, as well as 3 Ply Disposable, and two-layer no filter reusable options.
Covid-19 can be transmitted via mouth droplets from speaking, coughing, and sneezing. These droplets quickly evaporate into tiny particles that can be inhaled by others nearby. Luckily, blocking transmission can be easily accomplished with a cloth mask. The community use of masks benefits everyone, but only if most of the population cooperates.
Part of the confusion about whether or not wearing a mask in public is effective is the misconception about its purpose. To understand the community use of masks, we look at the different types of masks available:
• N95 Respirators are masks that have a filtering facepiece and meet the standards for occupational safety and health rating because it filters at least 95% of airborne particles. It’s important to know that some nonmedical N95s have exhalation valves that let out unfiltered air and won’t stop the spread of infection. It is our understanding that these particular N95 respirators shouldn’t be worn around others unless the valve is covered.
• Surgical Face Masks – A mask originally intended for healthcare professionals to catch droplets from the wearer’s mouth and nose, now a good option for workplace environments to help keep employees and clients safe
• Cloth Face Masks – These can be homemade face masks, bandanas, or scarves to cover the nose and mouth in public to limit the spread of infection.
Because N95 respirators are in critical demand for healthcare workers and medical first responders, the CDC encourages the public to leave N95 for our healthcare works and to source other options for face masks at this time. Manufactured three-layer masks with filters should provide better protection than single-ply homemade options but a single layer mask should be used if it’s all you have access to.
As we continue to fight against the spread of COVID-19, following physical distancing requirements, consistent hand washing, disinfecting, and wearing masks in public can make a significant impact.
Creo Promotional Solutions is proud to be a customized mask supplier offering filtered and layered masks for corporate purchase, with or without corporate branding the general public. Together, we can flatten the curve and keep each other safe.